Monday 12 February 2007

Talking urinal cakes

As a child I, like many other children, wondered what the future might bring. Some might have imagined labour saving robots or x-ray specs, smell-o-vision for your television or a time machine. I was slightly out of step with my peers with regard to my hopes for the future. Many were the times I faced ridicule because of my apparently forlorn hopes and dreams. Not for me visions of space travel, oh no. I was aiming far higher.

Well now, in the year 2007, I've been vindicated. I was right to stick to my guns and endure the playground taunts. Who's laughing now, eh? I present....the Talking Urinal Cake:

SANTA FE -- New Mexico has taken its fight against drunken driving to men's restrooms around the state.
The state has ordered 500 talking urinal cakes that will deliver a recorded anti-DWI message to bar and restaurant patrons who make one last pit stop before getting behind the wheel.
The top of the devices feature the state DWI slogan -- "You drink, you drive, you lose."

Some Albuquerque bars installed the devices this week.
And the state Transportation Department plans to distribute them to Santa Fe bars and restaurants as well as establishments in Farmington, Gallup and Las Cruces.
The state spent $21 for each talking urinal cake for the pilot program but will ask bars and restaurants to pay for future orders if the idea catches on.
The cakes have enough battery power to last about three months.


(Taken from koat.com)

People, we're living the dream

No comments: