Thursday 1 February 2007

I got those burning nasal passage blues

I haven't had a cigarette for 19 hours. I was asleep for seven of those hours so let's call it twelve hours. That's pretty good for me and the best bit is that it's been quite easy. Every time I've felt like sparking up I've just told myself that it's a bad idea. I'm home from work now though with nothing but this blog to keep me occupied until bedtime and I'm beginning to feel a bit clucky. Maybe I should have some of my nicotine replacement...

I chose a nicotine nasal spray to help ween me off of the cigs. I chose it because it is hardcore, the quickest way of getting a hefty dose of nicotine into the body. I, on the other hand, am not hardcore and this stuff hurts me but I defy anyone to squirt this evil substance into their nasal passage and not snivel like a hay fever sufferer in a bath full of pollen. Ive never snorted tabasco sauce and don't plan to but it can't be much worse than this. It comes in two phases: The initial squirt brings with it a pain and nausea that I've not encountered before. And I know my nausea. The sinuses feel primed to explode under the pressure. Tears fill the eyes and then cascade down the face. Your head feels expanded. Not figuratively like hippies smoking a joint, but literally like Arnie at the end of Total Recall in zero atmosphere. There is a brief period of relief as you feel the pain receding and the head returning to its normal size. Don't be fooled, it isn't over. The next phase is when the devil spray makes its way down the back of the throat. It feels as though some small insect has decided to take up residence and the only way to get rid of it is to cough as hard and often as possible. And the taste! My God!

Or maybe I'm just a little over-sensitive. Anyway, the not-smoking is going well.

On my very first post I wrote that I'd be remarking on music that I'm listening to and I've just realised that I haven't done that once yet. So. Got Arcade Fire and Cold War Kids albums today (before they're released of course, it's the only way). Cold War Kids: Not bad, might be a grower but probably not my thing. Arcade Fire? I'm only on the third song so can't really comment but it sounds fine so far. A bit less grandiose than Funeral. As I type a new song has started featuring a church organ so it might be a little more grandiose than Funeral. Either way, it's grandiose. I really should have been a music journo, shouldn't I?

No comments: